Medical Certificates

GPs cannot provide medical certificates for work absences of less than 8 days. A Self Certification form (SC2) can be obtained from your employer or the HMRC website.

If you require a continuation of a certificate you have already been given, please put your request in writing to your doctor who will then make a clinical decision about whether this is issued.

If you require a new certificate for an absence of 8 days or more (not related to the Coronavirus) you will need a telephone appointment with your GP.

If you are self-isolating, you will not be issued with a medical certificate as there is no need for this, regardless of the length of time. Employers have been asked to be accommodating with regard to this.

As you are aware, we are dealing with a very difficult situation at the current time whilst continuing to provide care to our sick patients. Your understanding is appreciated.